Tuesday, August 9, 2011


Poppy and Olive started camp today!  For 3 weeks, they are attending Wilmington Montessori School for 3 hours per day on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.  If you don't know what the Montessori Method is, take a look at this.  The kids had seen the classroom a few months ago when I was researching different camp options, and they made themselves right at home!  Poppy immediately found two dolls to play with, while Olive found one doll.  Typical!  I gave them kisses and drove home to an empty house.  I have to admit it was wonderful!  It was as if the kids were napping, but I could make all the noise I wanted.  I blasted music, clanged dishes around, and scrubbed the outdoor toys with reckless abandon.

Then, at 10:30, the phone rang.  It was one of the assistant teachers, and I thought either Olive tripped over her own feet and got hurt or Poppy hit someone.  I guess I shouldn't assume because I was wrong.  Since it was their first day, the teacher thought I should know that Olive would not use their potty.  She said she had to do poopies but would not sit on the potty.  She was holding it in and was in immense pain.  She carried on for 45 minutes.  Poor thing!  I felt so bad that she was crying for daddy and I couldn't help her.  That's when I got emotional.  I knew she'd be fine, but it was heartbreaking.  I almost cried for her.  The teacher said that some kids get picked up early on their first day if they are having a hard time, but I didn't want to do that.  Instead, I decided to drive back to the school and stand in the observation room until noon (pick up time).  When I got there, Olive was absolutely fine!  As soon as the teacher hung up with me, Olive went poopies on the potty, and all was resolved.  Phew!  When it was time to leave, I got a big hug and kiss from both Olive and Poppy.  I missed them so much!  

So what exactly did they do today?  First, they had independent exploration time.  They can literally do anything they want as long as it's safe.  Then, Poppy did some finger painting while Olive was "sick."  During snack time, Poppy even tried to give Olive a snack to help her feel better.  How sweet!  The last hour was outdoor play and water play.  Sounds fun to me!

Here they are standing outside the school dragging their belongings.  They look so grown up!  

I had to zoom in on this picture because Poppy's face is priceless!  Smile!

Olive was all business.

Let's get this show on the road.

No comments: