Wednesday, November 17, 2010

How Embarrassing

The girls had a doctor's appointment Tuesday to make sure they didn't have ear infections or anything.  They'd had low-grade fevers on and off for over a week, and I was starting to get worried.  They're fine.  Now, for the embarrassing story...


Late Monday night (8:30 is late by the way) the phone rang, and I didn't recognize the number.  An embarrassing dialogue ensued.  Keep in mind, my pediatrician is not Dr. B., and Chuck is a very funny friend.


Me:  Hello?


Man:  Hello.  This is Dr. "B".  I'm calling about Olivia, um, Olive and Poppy.


Me:  Oh, ok.


Man:  This your child's pediatrician.  Is this Mr. Argo, um, Agro?


Me:  Yeah.  Who did you say this is?


(Meanwhile, Jill is looking at me like I have two heads.)


Man:   This is Dr. B., your child's pediatrician.


Me:  [Silence and confusion]  No, you're not their pediatrician.  I've never even heard your name before . . . .  Is this Chuck? (It sounded just like him.)


Man:  [Silence and confusion]  No, this is Dr. B. calling.


Me:  You're not their doctor.  My kids see Dr. "D."


Man:  Dr. D is my partner.  You have an appointment at 2:40 tomorrow, right?


Me:  Yeah...? [Blubbering]  Oh my god I've never heard your name before you sound just like a friend of mine that's why I didn't believe you I'm so sorry yes yes Poppy and Olive have an appointment tomorrow with Dr. D.


Jill: [Laughing hysterically]


Man:  She's not available tomorrow, so you'll see me when you come in.


Of course I would have to see him after making an ass of myself.  The conversation ended somehow, and when I see him Tuesday with the kids, what's the first thing out of my mouth?  


Me:  [Blubbering]  I'm so sorry I thought you were playing a trick on me last night on the phone I've never heard your name before you sound just like a friend of mine that's why I didn't believe you I'm so sorry.


Dr. B.:  Oh, it's OK.  I called a bit late and caught you off guard.  So, what seems to be your concern...?


How embarrassing.  But, I'm glad he was so professional about it.  I will be sure to learn the names of everyone in that office.


I usually take some pictures when we go to the doctor's office, but I went solo this time.  Here are some pictures of our new Learning Tower.  They love it!  We bought it to prevent the girls from climbing the stools and getting onto the countertop.  Olive is in the purply pink PJs and Poppy is in the blue PJs.





No comments: