Monday, February 8, 2010

Thumb Sucking Woes

Way back when (when Poppy and Olive were 3 months old), we saw glimmers of thumb sucking that seemed to go away for a while. Guess what? Now, they are back :-(

At first, I thought it was a result of teething. Then, Poppy started sneaking her thumb under her pacifier as she fell asleep. Of course, it would backfire and make it more difficult to fall asleep. I remove her thumb, and it backfires again. I remove the pacifier, and of course she falls asleep with her thumb in her mouth. It is easier to correct Olive because she hasn't started fighting the thumb removal yet. Neither Jill nor I were thumb suckers as far as we know, so I don't know where they get it from.

Thumb sucking isn't the worse thing in the world, but I'd rather the girls not do it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

"Ha ha ha! I suck the thumb!"

Friday night into Saturday, we got loads of snow (over 2 feet to be exact). And here we are waiting for more today. According to accuweather.com, the current prediction for Wilmington is 12-18 inches. I love the snow, but I am now realizing that it is much different when you have kids. I can't leave the house as often or as easily so some days seem to drag. I do know one thing, we will NOT be taking the kids outside to explore the snow again!

"But Daddy, I want to go outside!"

Yesterday's lunch was pretty sticky and messy: avocado and tomato with banana as dessert. By no means was it the messiest meal ever, but Olive and Poppy looked so cute covered in goo!

Here is Olive's new funny face.

"No pictures, please."

The air has been so dry that I keep small bottles from the hospital accessible to Poppy and Olive in case they are thirsty. They are obsessed with these bottles ever since they mastered the art of holding them at an angle to get the water.

In an effort to capture Poppy's obsession with the bottles on video, I captured something quite amusing. In the video below, you'll get a giggle when she turns away from the camera.



Finally, watch as Olive chases a toy lodged underneath the wheel of the Around-We-Go!

1 comment:

Joern and Denise Geleitsmann said...

I wouldn't worry about the thumbsucking. Most kids give it up easily on their own by their 2nd birthday. It won't do any permanent damage at this age and it is soothing for them.

My son sucked his thumb from about 3 to 12 months and then just gave it up all of a sudden. he's now 15 months.